Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Is Nothing Sacred?

Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving. I did, and I am very thankful for that.

However, while I was busy enjoying time with my family, both immediate and extended, some of the folks at the local Safeway were busy working. I had to run to the store the night before to pick up some last minute items for T-Day, and what do I learn? That Safeway is open on Thanksgiving Day from 6am to 11pm. Which means that some poor saps had to spend our national day of thanks toiling instead of being able to enjoy the day with the people they love.

I am kinda old fashioned about some things, and this is definitely one of them. It is downright un-American to be open on Thanksgiving or Christmas Day when you don't have to be. Obviously some people can't have the day off (cops, firemen, etc.), but most everyone else can, so why not give your workers a break?

Could the workers use the money? I'm sure they probably could. But here's a radical idea: Give them a PAID holiday! Could the folks who actually work be making more money than normal (i.e. time and a half, double time). I would f***ing hope so, but again, if the company is interested in seeing its workers with more money, they can give them a raise or a bonus.

The bottom line is that there is very little need for most places to be open on Thanksgiving or Christmas. And even if they feel compelled to be open they at least should have the decency to close early and let their workers go home and be with their families. Anything else is un-American.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home