Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Feingold Boosterism

I hope everyone is enjoying the Alito confirmation hearings. Truly it is fascinating stuff. I wish I could say I've listened to a lot of it, but after the Roberts hearings I'm a tad cynical about these things. But I'll get to that in the post below.

In Feingold news, I was very pleased that he was one of 3 Democrats whose questions were featured on the NewsHour with Jim Lehrer. The other two were Leahy and Kennedy. For those wishing to read 2008 implications into everything, Feingold gets a miniscule boost, but at the expense of Joe Biden (the man most in love with the sound of his own voice, which for the Senate is saying a lot).

The more Feingold can stake his claim to be the defender of common sense civil liberties (like, you know, keeping the President from engaging in widespread warrantless wiretapping), and the more often the public sees him in that role, the better shape he will be in for the primaries and (hopefully) the general election.

For those of you who think this analysis is anything but facetious, I've got a bridge in New Mexico I can sell you for a steal.

On a serious note, I was glad (and a little surprised) to see them excerpt Feingold. The other senators excerpted were Specter, Hatch, Grassley and of course Leahy and Kennedy mentioned above. Feingold with 13 years of seniority in the Senate is a young pup compared to the 1000 years of combined Senate tenure in that group. Plus there's the old adage: any press is good press.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home