Thursday, January 05, 2006

Greetings and Salutations!

My New Year's resolution for 2006 was to help convince Senator Russ Feingold to run for president in 2008, and to do what I could to lay the groundwork for such a run. After spending some time touring the surprising number of "Feingold 2008" sites, I decided to give this blog thing a try. So far, no one from my area of the country has jumped in, so I figured I may as well try to fill the void.

I have kept tabs on Senator Feingold for the last several years. In the wake of that terrible day in October 2002 when we lost Sentaor Paul Wellstone (and his wife, daughter and three campaign staffers), Senator Feingold's presence in the Senate was the only thing that gave me hope or optimism about the political future of our country. I am pleased to say that he has been a complete joy to follow since then.

Senator Feingold brings to politics a rare quality of authenticity, and the rare ability to cross partisan and ideological lines in pursuit of the common good. I have never heard him speak in the pre-packaged "spin" tones so many politicians exhibit today. Neither, though, does he speak in the "off the cuff" manner that often lands so many other politicians in hot water. Rather his comments come across as thoughtful, informed and genuine. When he takes up an issue (e.g. campaign finance reform, Patriot Act reform, withdrawal from Iraq etc.) he makes it his own and communicates about it in a way that dispels any thought that he is a "johnny-come-lately," or somehow pandering to the audience. Few politicians these days can accomplish this feat.

I look forward to watching him in the coming year. I also hope that this blog will serve to inform people about Senator Feingold, and build support for a 2008 candidacy, but I also hope it will be a forum to debate all things political (and possibly some things not political) including the strengths and weakenesses (I'll grudginly admit there are a few) of a Feingold campaign.

Again, greetings and salutations!

1 Comments:

Blogger Kumar said...

mnnngc, yours was one of the first Feingold blogs I ran across. Thanks for inspiring me to take this plunge.

mike s, I think I saw your blog when I was getting ideas for this one. I'll definitely visit more.

Thanks for stopping by and saying "hello." I look forward to working with you all to make Feingold 2008 a reality.

11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home